Application for National Lottery Funding

Since its inception, the National Lottery has raised more than €5bn for good causes. Under the legislation, the National Lottery Fund is managed and controlled by the Regulator of the National Lottery. At intervals determined by the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, the Regulator pays sums allocated for good causes into the Central Fund of the Exchequer.

In accordance with Section 41 of the National Lottery Act, these sums are applied as determined by Government for the following purposes:

  1. Sport and recreation;
  2. National culture and heritage (including the Irish language);
  3. The arts (within the meaning of the Arts Act 2003 );
  4. Health of the community;
  5. Youth, welfare and amenities;
  6. Natural environment;
  7. Such other objectives (if any) as the Government may determine from time to time.

Please note that the Regulator of the National Lottery has no function whatsoever in the allocation of funds from the National Lottery.

Applications for funding should be made via the relevant Government Department.

The following information is intended to assist an individual/organisation in determining where they should direct their enquiry regarding securing National Lottery funding.

For applications relating to sport and recreation, we would suggest the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport (

For applications relating to the arts or to national culture and heritage (including the Irish language), we would suggest the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht ( or the Arts Council (

For applications relating to health of the community, the Health Service Executive has been allocated National Lottery Funding for distribution to community based groups and voluntary organisations under the Respite Care Grant Scheme and the National Lottery Grant Scheme ( Healthy Ireland Fund has allocation for projects and initiatives via Pobal (

For applications relating to natural environment, we would suggest the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government via your Local Authority (, or alternatively the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment (

For applications relating to Community projects or the Seniors Alert Scheme, we would suggest the Department of Rural and Community Development (